Thursday, March 18, 2010

Publish America

For those of you who may be interested, I'm at present in legal dispute with PublishAmerica: in my opinion they are in breach of contract. My contract with them states: "It is specifically understood and agreed, however, that the Publisher shall make no major revisions, changes and/or alterations therein without first consulting the Author and receiving written permission to do so."

Some of the changes I requested--as a result of the publisher not being able to print traditional Chinese characters and Hanyu Pinyin (the official Romanisation of Mandarin Chinese) with the Hanyu Pinyin tone marks--were incorrectly applied or not applied at all. There is also a section of text missing and the book has one "Part One" and two "Part Two" sections instead of a "Part One", "Part Two", and "Part Three".

I think that counts as major changes...and they certainly didn't have my permission to publish as it in its present state.

As it stands right now I am seeking legal advice on terminating the contract with them. I'll keep you informed of progress.

For those of you who have chosen Publish America based on my recommendation, I apologise. They were at one stage a good reliable publisher. Now they seem to have gone to the dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment